An administration official defended the administration’s strategy in a lawsuit filed by advertisers over their right to use photos in ads.
The official told The Associated Press that the Obama administration will “continue to fight to keep ads truthful and fair” while also continuing to “protect and defend the First Amendment rights of our advertisers.”
The Justice Department, which represents the interests of the ad industry, has been working with the Justice Department’s antitrust division and a coalition of private companies, including the National Association of Broadcasters, to defend against the lawsuit.
The Justice Department says the ad-buyers are unfairly challenging the authority of the Federal Trade Commission and other agencies to enforce antitrust laws.
The lawsuit seeks to force the companies to stop using photos in their ads, a tactic that has led to a sharp increase in the number of ads in which photos appear.
The lawsuit is being brought by three advertisers: a national news network, a travel agency and a food and beverage company.
It also seeks to compel the companies, which include news organizations, travel agencies and beverage companies, to remove ads that use photos of people from their websites.
The Justice Dept. also argues that the use of photos in advertising is protected under antitrust law because the government does not have a monopoly on the use and sale of advertising material.
In its response to the suit, the Justice Dept., in a filing on Thursday, said it had been working to develop an “unwavering commitment” to the ad buyers’ rights to the photos.
It said that, while it would “continue in our effort to protect their rights” to use images in their ad, it would not “unilaterally interfere with the adbuyers’ ability to exercise their free speech rights.”
The Associated Press has reported on several cases involving the use or sale of photos.